The Past in Print
The past in print is a selection of well researched books outlining the Gympie region’s history.
The Gympie Goldfield 1867-2008
The story of one of Australia's most productive goldfields and Gympie's role as the town that saved Queensland.
In 2010, this book received a National Trust of Queensland Bendigo Bank Heritage Award.
Landscapes of Change
Written by Dr Tony Matthews, Phd, Landscapes of change, chronicles the history of the South Burnett region of Queensland. Published by participating members of the South Burnett Local Government Association - the Cherbourg Community Council, and the Shire Councils of Kilkivan, Murgon, Wondai and Kingaroy, in 1997.
This a double volume set.
We would lke to thank Dr Tony Matthews (Phd), Ms Lensie Matthews, the Cherbourg Aboriginal Shire Council, the South Burnett Regional Council and the Gympie Regional Council (formerly Kilkivan Shire Council) for allowing us to digitise and make this book freely available.
Note: due to the large download of both volumes the files have been compressed. Should you require a larger file please email Gympie Regional Libraries.
The Coffee Pot Mill
Written by Dr Tony Matthews, The Coffee Pot Mill is a history of the Elgin Vale steam-powered sawmill.
We would like to thank Dr Matthews and Mrs Lensie Matthews for allowing us to digitise and make available The Coffee Pot Mill.
Read The Coffee Pot Mill
Interlude at Elgin Vale is the story of an old mill engine at the Elgin Vale Sawmill near Goomeri. In 1996 , Peter Olds set about getting the steam engine working, and he did. This story is about the history of the steam engine, the Elgin Vale mill and its parent mill.
We would like to thank Mr Peter Olds for giving permission to digitise this book and make it freely available.
If you wish to buy a printed copy of Interlude at Elgin Vale please contact:
Olds Engineering, 78 North Street, Maryborough, Qld. 4650 Ph: 41213649
The Gympie School of Arts and Library
The Gympie School of Arts and Library was designed by well known Gympie architect Hugo DuRietz. It has been a centre for learning, a library and is now the Gympie Region Art Gallery.
The Gympie Civic Centre in Mellor Street was officially opened on Thursday 13 October 1977 by the Premier of Queensland, the Honourable Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen, M.L.A.
Hugo du Rietz: Swedish Noble, Architect, Farmer and a Founding Father of Gympie
Hugo du Rietz was the architect of some of Gympie’s well-known buildings, including the building that houses the gallery. The du Rietz family were also important to the region’s dairy industry.
26 Views of Gympie
Published in the early 1900s by the Hon. Henry Llewelyn who was a politician and was a Member for the Queensland Legislative Council, he was in office from 1917 to 1922. He was also a bookseller and stationer, running his shop, known as “H. Llewelyn’s Book Arcade” in Mary Street for 34 years in Gympie.
The booklet has 26 views around Gympie taken in the early 1900s.